Dan Sheridan is the founder and CEO of Sheridan Options Mentoring, a company geared towards producing independent traders. With over 30 years of experience trading options and educating traders worldwide, Dan’s one of the pioneers in his industry. In this episode of How To Trade It, Dan shares how he maximizes profits by minimizing risk. You don’t want to miss it! With over 30 years of experience trading options and educating traders worldwide, Dan Sheridan @SheridanOptions is one of the pioneers in his industry. Tune in to this episode of How To Trade It to learn more! #options #creditspreads… Click To Tweet
Subscribe to How To Trade It
You’ll want to hear this episode if you are interested in…
- [01:36] Learning how to make $3,000 per month on a $25K account
- [09:35] A solid risk management plan
- [12:54] Understanding Calendar Spreads
- [15:28] Unpacking Credit Spreads
- [18:25] Selling “Puts”
- [22:38] Utilizing Probabilities
- [29:01] Adjusting your risk
- [30:14] Discipline!
- [34:54] The Complete Options Portfolio
Simply stated, a calendar spread is used to generate weekly or monthly income by buying a further out duration, and selling a closer one. For example, you might buy a June expiration and sell a May expiration. You make money on calendar spreads because the ones you are selling hit their expiration a lot sooner than the ones you are buying. Basically, you are benefitting from the decay on the short option.
Buying actual stocks kills your purchasing power because, let’s face it, they are expensive. Dan sees buying puts as credit spreads as a poor man’s way of getting a cash-secure put because you then have a hedge of protection. This cuts down your capital requirements dramatically. With credit spreads you can yield between 8 & 10% return each month.
Most former pit traders don’t even look at charts. Instead, they rely on probabilities. It’s not because they believe charts are bad, it’s simply because they never needed them to do their work when they were on the trading floor. By looking at volatility, you can get standard deviation. Dan also looks at average true range (ATR), and he has used indicators to stay out of trouble from the big moves and corrections in the markets.
Resources & People Mentioned
- Learn Options Trading Basics from an Expert, Ep 5 - How To Trade It podcast
- Make $3K Monthly on $25K
- TDAmeritrade - ThinkOrSwim
Connect with Dan Sheridan
- Website: https://www.sheridanmentoring.com/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9LbCrFQn4zezf9BX27837A
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/sheridanoptions
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Sheridan-Options-Mentoring-257875117725172/
Connect With Casey Stubbs
- Website: https://caseystubbs.com
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/TradingStrategyGuides
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/caseystubbs
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/caseystubbs
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TradingStrategyGuides
- LinkedIn: https://linkedin.com/in/caseystubbs
Subscribe to How To Trade It
Disclaimer: Trading carries a high level of risk, and may not be suitable for all investors. Before deciding to invest you should carefully consider your investment objectives, level of experience, and risk appetite. The possibility exists that you could sustain a loss of some or all of your initial investment. Therefore you should not invest money that you cannot afford to lose. You should be aware of all the risks associated with foreign exchange trading, and seek advice from an independent financial advisor if you have any doubts.